February 4, 2012

Zinnia Pompon

I'm a gardening beginner. Last few years I was very mad on gardening and spend a lot to buy plants but end up many of them dead. In 2011, my new house small garden just setup, my gardening's heat back again. So i wish to learn everything over again.

My very first time to grow seeds successfully was the first try on Zinnia Pompon. Here is the steps to grow Zinnia Pompon.




  1. Start sow the seeds in damp soil . You may use a saucer to fill water put underneath flower pot. Sprinkle the soil morning and night. 
  2. The seeds sprouted after 3 days and grow very fast after that. Remove the water in the saucer.
  3. Transplant to medium pot when it has 4 true leaves.
  4. Give 3 days in shaded area to let it familiar with new environment
  5. Once it look healthy and recover from transplant, we can move to full sun area and water by watering can
  6. Every week give little fertilizer (not too much)
  7. Pinch off need to do when it grow 12 inches tall, just cut the upper part and the part being cut can be planted also. The purpose of pinch off is to grow more branches
It is very fun to grow from seeds as you will wonder how it looks like and what's the flower's color. After two months, it start to blooms, the colors are so lovely








2 comments:

  1. This year is my first time doing true gardening—or attempting… my twin is a horticulturalist so I figured it was something we could enjoy together. We were having a rainy week and actually cultivated the sends in sandy soil (that’s what my yard is composed of because of being so close to the water) threw in some potting mix and planted the seats. That was about a month ago now. They are about 4+ or - inches tall. They look super healthy, and some of them have about 6 leaves on them ( I mean on the stem, their beyond your first picture). My quick question for you is how do I maintain their growth (I water them a lot as I live in the South by the beach, 80+ degrees), and when shall I expect to start seeing buds for flowers. Also, when they get up 12”, what did you mean by clipping the “upper part”? Sorry for the long message, but you seem like you are quite informed when it comes to Zinnia’s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nessa, nice to see you here, i'm actually very seldom updating my blog (well your comment make me feel i should keep updating from time to time). i love gardening but i just started not long ago. Zinnia pompon is quite easy to take care, just put little fertilizer weekly and they will start to bloom after 2 months. Yes, when it reached 12 inch you may clipping the upper part, so that can promote more branches. Once it blooms you may cut the flowers to decorate your home, and by cutting can promote more blooms. Or you may wait the flower brown naturally and collect the seeds in the flower so you can reseed later.

    ReplyDelete